Thursday, April 23, 2020

Bong-Joon Ho's THE HOST (2006)


A monster movie always needs a bit
Of slapstick, but these laughs come with a punch
Right to the gut. A class on how this fit
Together could, sure, benefit a bunch
Of students. Here the monster shows up soon
And clearly, and is sinuous and cool
And interesting to watch, at night or noon
(That's right: broad daylight, often tough and cruel
To creatures, only makes this better! I
Would nothing change, unless, perhaps I'd give
To Chekhov's archer more to do than fly
That arrow; Doona Bae just makes me live. 
But Ko Asung does, too, and Kan-Ho Song
Paired with her never, ever, can go wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guillermo del Toro's THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Some movies are for looking at, and I'd Say this is one, for ev'ry gorgeous frame Would look great on my wall. All that ...