Thursday, January 23, 2020

Michael Gracey's THE GREATEST SHOWMAN (2017)


I think I'd rather that I could have heard
Real opera from the Swedish Nightengale,
But Broadway types, have probably preferred
A modern style. And style must e'er prevail
In show biz. This is Barnum simplified
And made into the spectacle. A real 
And factful film, as others might have tried,
Would fail where this succeeds, a bit, I feel.
My eyes betimes did want to roll, of course
I mean, I saw Zac Efron on trapeze!
So many stories wandered from the source. 
Viz... Tom Thumb gets no wedding? And, puh-lease,
The Eng twins as a sight gag in each dance
Instead of getting lines, screen time, a chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guillermo del Toro's THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Some movies are for looking at, and I'd Say this is one, for ev'ry gorgeous frame Would look great on my wall. All that ...