Friday, June 5, 2020

Mika Kaurismäki's THE GIRL KING (2015)


Christina, Queen of Sweden, long has dwelt
Rent-free inside my head, e'er since I read
Of her in my Horizon mags. I felt 
A little more a rebel, in my head
For knowing she had lived. And Garbo brought
Her e'en more forward, so my standards for
A film about her are perhaps too high. 
There's some to like,  here, sure, but there is more
To who she was and what she did, than (sigh)
Her Countess. There's some quite good dialogue
At least, and all looks pretty, as it should.
It's not a bad film, though; it's not a slog. 
Is that enough, though, that I'd call it good?
Her odd upbringing isn't shown at all, 
Nor post-crowned life. Not sure 'twas their best call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guillermo del Toro's THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Some movies are for looking at, and I'd Say this is one, for ev'ry gorgeous frame Would look great on my wall. All that ...