Monday, June 29, 2020

Josephine Decker's SHIRLEY (2020)


The great achievement of this dreary work
Is making of Ms. Moss's elfin face
A doppelganger for Ms. Jackson, smirk
And rank untidiness and all, but pace
The famous savages who wore her down.
Instead we get some newlyweds to share
Their home, two cute young things who quickly drown
In melodrama, but I couldn't care
About them and their sexy, sexy scenes. 
I'd rather a straight biopic, though, than this --
And Moss and Stuhlberg sure would be the means
To make this happen! But this here's a miss.
The look of things was right; I'll give it that. 
But otherwise? It's just not where it's at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guillermo del Toro's THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Some movies are for looking at, and I'd Say this is one, for ev'ry gorgeous frame Would look great on my wall. All that ...