Sunday, September 2, 2018

James Ivory's THE WHITE COUNTESS (2005)


Oh, what a cast, and what production -- yet
These stars in gorgeous clothes, just dripping style
As gracefully they flit across each set
Creating for the screen that old Shanghai,
All seem asleep, or near it. Kazuo
And Mister Ivory, together they
Love nothing more than lovers, yes, although
They've yet to let a couple have their way.
A lovely, quiet film is something I
Enjoy, but sometimes it's all too sedate
(But maybe, lulled as always when I spy
A Sanada, I cared less for the fate
Of these romantic leads?). And one real gripe:
A sighted Fiennes, in blindface ain't my type.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guillermo del Toro's THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Some movies are for looking at, and I'd Say this is one, for ev'ry gorgeous frame Would look great on my wall. All that ...