Thursday, July 26, 2018

Chris Marker's LETTER FROM SIBERIA (France, 1957)


It's all about the editing with Chris
And Marker, even early, does it well.
I knew that going in. But what is this?
Such whimsy, even cartooned moments swell
The range of tones achieved here as we cross
The taiga and the towns. At times there seems
A hint of propaganda with a sauce
Of satire -- to remind us the regime
Is still totalitarian? But look
As Sacha Vierny's eye contrasts with all
(I am a Sacha fangirl). This film took
Too little time in ending. I would fall
Enrapt to silence for a day-long cut.
For eye-candy, I've got a greedy gut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guillermo del Toro's THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Some movies are for looking at, and I'd Say this is one, for ev'ry gorgeous frame Would look great on my wall. All that ...